People who want to use Psychology to help businesses understand some of their biggest problems that they face on a daily basis and find strategies to solve them have probably thought about getting a Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology. Industrial-Organizational Psychology is a field in which real-life problems are solved by understanding the way that people interact with their workplace and each other. These problems are solved using many of the techniques of scientific inquiry that are used in many fields of Psychology. For a person interested in entering this field, what are the prerequisites to get into a master’s program?
According to the American Psychological Association, the biggest prerequisite is a bachelor’s degree in psychology. With this undergraduate degree, students are able to learn the scientific inquiry methods that will make them successful in a master’s program.
There are, however, many people who major in something other than psychology as an undergraduate but still want to study psychology as a graduate student. According to Very Well Mind, it is possible to gain admission to some Psychology programs even for students who didn’t complete an undergraduate degree in psychology. Students who fall into this category should consider taking a few courses to gain a better understanding of the field and show programs that they have the requisite knowledge and skills to complete a master’s program. Two courses that people without a bachelor’s in Psychology should consider taking include:
- Statistics: A course in statistics will help prepare students to analyze large amounts of information that can then be used to better understand trends.
- Experimental Methods: This course is designed to teach students how to conduct field research in ways that will provide valid and reliable results.
Graduate Requisite Exam
Prospective students to a graduate program in Psychology will also need to take the Graduate Requisite Exam (GRE) and attain a certain score in each of the categories. The exact scores are dependent on the program, and prospective students should check with the university to find out minimum qualifications.
Psychology Subject Test
This test measures a prospective student’s understanding of psychology, and it might be a requirement for some Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology programs. Some programs might not require the test, but prospective students should check with the institution that they are considering applying to well in advance to ensure that they have time to do all of the necessary tests and attain the minimum scores.
Universities and individual programs within a university all have their own timelines for when application materials, such as GRE test scores and transcripts, need to be to the university. Generally speaking, prospective students should have their applications in about a year in advance. Additionally, while most people have their preferred program, it’s wise for applicants to apply to a couple of programs to ensure that they are accepted into at least one program. I/O Psychology is a field that many people find personally rewarding because of its practical applications, and a Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology will lead people to more opportunities in the workforce that offer higher financial rewards.
- 30 Great Scholarships, Grants & Awards for Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Is an Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Respected in the Field?
- How Long Does it Take to Become an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist?
- What is the Difference Between Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Human Resources?
- What are the Most Important Elements of an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist’s Job?
- Why is Industrial-Organizational Psychology Important?
- What Can I Expect From an Industrial-Organizational Psychology Ph.D. Program?
- Top 10 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 9 Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Online
- Top 10 Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Online
- Top 10 Ph.D. Programs in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- 10 Most Affordable Top-Ranked Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 10 Bachelor’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 25 Campus Based Industrial-Organizational Psychology Master’s Degree Programs
- Top 15 Industrial/Organizational Certificate Programs