Reasons to Get an Industrial-Organizational Psychology Degree Online
- Educational Benefit
- Clinical Work Requirements
Industrial-organizational psychology is a branch of psychology that deals with how people behave in the workplace and other organizations and studying organizational-industrial psychology online can be a great opportunity for anyone whose work or family obligations prevent them from attending classes in person. Below are five benefits to online education in industrial-organizational psychology.
One of the main reasons many people earn a degree online is the flexibility of the programs. Most online programs are entirely or partly asynchronous, meaning that it is not necessary to do things at a set time. As in a regular classroom, there are deadlines and due dates, but it is usually not necessary to be in a certain place at a certain time each day to attend class. This allows people who are caring for family members or whose work does not allow them to attend classes to still obtain a degree.
Online education has undergone a huge expansion. Most colleges now have online programs, and in many cases, they may be virtually indistinguishable from the curriculum available in brick-and-mortar classes. They are often taught by the same faculty. This means that a person interested in studying industrial-organizational psychology online can choose from schools anywhere in the country instead of being limited to what is local. Students may be able to choose a school that specializes in an approach or has a faculty that suits their particular areas of interest.
Some people may worry that online education might still be inferior to classroom education. However, studying industrial-organizational psychology online could lead to better outcomes. The New York Times reports that a study conducted for the U.S. Department of Education found that students who study online actually perform better than those who receive their education in traditional classrooms.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the field of industrial-organizational psychology should grow at a rate of more than 11%. Furthermore, the agency reports that median pay for industrial-organizational psychologists in May 2018 was $97,260. Salaries could go as high as $192,000. Employment opportunities are expected to be particularly strong in Virginia, California, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.
Clinical Work Requirements
Students should look into requirements for their state, but many states exempt industrial-organizational psychologists from licensure requirements. Others only require them in certain circumstances. While students who are getting an online degree in programs that have a required element of clinical work may be at a disadvantage, this is often not an issue for people who are studying industrial-organizational psychology online. This means that in many cases, online students will be on the same footing as those who studied in more traditional environments when it comes to job searches. For employment that does require licensure, students may still be able to obtain a bachelor’s degree online and go on to graduate school at a traditional university where they can fulfill any clinical requirements.
Industrial-organizational psychology can be an excellent career field for people who are interested in improving the quality of life for workers while earning a good salary. Studying industrial-organizational psychology online can offer excellent opportunities for people who would not otherwise be able to attend college classes.
- 30 Great Scholarships, Grants & Awards for Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- What are the Prerequisites for Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Is an Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Respected in the Field?
- How Long Does it Take to Become an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist?
- What is the Difference Between Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Human Resources?
- What are the Most Important Elements of an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist’s Job?
- Why is Industrial-Organizational Psychology Important?
- What Can I Expect From an Industrial-Organizational Psychology Ph.D. Program?
- Top 10 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 9 Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Online
- Top 10 Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Online
- Top 10 Ph.D. Programs in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- 10 Most Affordable Top-Ranked Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 10 Bachelor’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 25 Campus Based Industrial-Organizational Psychology Master’s Degree Programs
- Top 15 Industrial/Organizational Certificate Programs