It is an exciting time to be an industrial organizational psychology professional. In the scope of psychological studies, industrial organizational psychology is a relatively new field. Because of that, today’s PhD students still have the opportunity to study and discover new findings in almost every aspect of the workplace and people within organizations. PhD students in industrial organizational psychology want to understand problems based on scientific understanding of human behavior in the workplace and then solve it.
For industrial-organizational psychology professionals currently working in the field, obtaining a PhD in industrial organizational psychology allows them to continue their education while holding their current jobs. These types of non-traditional students often benefit from the flexibility that an online program can offer. Whether the PhD student decides to ultimately work within an organization, conduct research, or teach at the collegiate level, earning a PhD Online from one of these top colleges will result in a rewarding career in industrial organizational psychology.
Using information gathered from the National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator, accredited colleges were identified that offered doctoral degrees in industrial-organizational psychology. We narrowed our focus to regionally institutions offering the degree in either an online or hybrid format. Information regarding student population, student: teacher ratio, and courses/specializations were noted, and colleges were ranked by average graduate student tuition and fees.
Ranking the Top 9 Online Ph.D. in Industrial Organizational Psychology
Average Graduate Tuition Rates
- Less than $10,000 per year= 5 Points
- $10,000 to $15,000 per year= 4 Points
- $15,001 to $20,000 per year= 3 Points
- $20,001 to $25,000 per year= 2 Points
- Greater than $25,001 per year= 1 Point
- 15:1 or less= 5 Points
- 16:1 to 20:1= 3 Points
- Greater than 20:1= 1 Point
9. Adler University – Chicago, Illinois
Ph.D. in Industrial & Organizational Psychology /Online
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 16:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $31,800/year
Adler University features a top online PhD in industrial and organizational psychology. Students study a variety of areas including:
- job and task analysis
- leadership and management
- human factors
- performance management and feedback
All students complete a social justice practicum that begins the 2nd course period of the program. Students will attend monthly workshops and complete a practicum at a community-based organization. There are no residency requirements, ideal for working professionals. Graduates are successful in:
- corporate enterprise
8. Capella University – Minneapolis, Minnesota
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology-Industrial/Organizational Psychology Specialization
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 22:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $14,516/year
Do you want to make a positive impact on the workplace? The PhD online in industrial organizational psychology at Capella University can help you achieve your professional goals. The program consists of key courses in areas like:
- program evaluation
- consultation psychology
- the psychology of leadership
- I/O psychology in HR
The online coursework is complementary to in-person residencies that provide in-depth training and professional development. All students receive support from mentors, instructors, and a specialized dissertation team.
7. William James College – Newton, Massachusetts
Leadership Psychology Doctorate (PsyD)
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 7:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $39,600/year
The innovative Leadership Psychology Doctorate (PsyD) program offered by William James College is designed to create effective leaders who produce positive results in their organization. Full-time students can complete the program in just four years. While the majority of coursework can be completed online, students complete three four-day residencies each year. All students complete a 600-clock hour practicum and a 400 hour internship to further develop professional skills. This highly selective program is restricted to just five to 10 new students in each entering class.
6. Keiser University – Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Industrial and Organizational Psychology, PhD
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 12:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $27,072/year
The top online PsyD in Leadership Psychology at Keiser University is a unique program focused on how individuals function as leaders and as followers. Students can complete coursework at their own pace through a dynamic online learning platform. On-campus residencies are conducted three times a year. This enables students to practice their new skills through experiential learning and work face-to-face with faculty and peers. Full-time students can complete the program in about four years while part-time students take about six. Graduates serve in roles like:
- Leadership Development Specialist
- Executive Vice President
- Learning and Development Manager.
5. The Chicago School of Professional Psychology – Chicago, Illinois
Ph.D. in Business Psychology-Industrial/Organizational Track
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 5:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $21,213/year
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology features an innovative PhD in business psychology with a specialization in industrial/organizational psychology. This online, full-time program takes three years to complete for students with a master’s level education. Courses cover areas like:
- adult development and work
- systems theory
- virtual and global leadership
Students entering the program with only a bachelor’s degree complete two-300 clock hour internships. All students complete a dissertation to demonstrate their ability to conduct research in I/O psychology.
4. Northcentral University – La Jolla, California
PhD-PSY in Industrial Organizational Psychology
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 1:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $16,864/year
The top online PhD in industrial organizational psychology at Northcentral University aligns with the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology’s guidelines for education and training. Courses cover areas like:
- motivation and attitudes
- organizational development
- leadership and management
- tests and measurement
Faculty are all doctoral level, meaning students will get the highest level of instruction in I/O psychology. Students benefit from 1:1 interaction with their professors and personalized mentoring. This 60 credit hour program takes about 48 months to complete.
3. Grand Canyon University – Phoenix, Arizona
Doctor of Philosophy in General Psychology: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 20:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $9,916/year
Grand Canyon University features a top PhD in industrial organizational psychology focused on people in the workplace. Students will learn to help business professionals who want to improve their relationship building skills and improve the culture and performance of their organization. Core courses cover areas like:
- consulting and coaching
Graduates are prepared for roles like staff psychologist, consultant, or researcher.
2. Liberty University – Lynchburg, Virginia
Ph.D. in Psychology – Industrial/Organizational
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 18:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $7,904/year
The top online PhD in industrial organizational psychology at Liberty University is a 60-credit hour program that takes about three years to complete. Courses are available entirely online in a flexible, eight-week format. Students will study:
- human behavior in organizations
- complete courses in organizational behavior and development
- psychological research and biblical worldview
- theories and research in I/O psychology
- teaching of psychology.
1. Touro University Worldwide – Los Alamitos, California
Online Doctor of Psychology in Human and Organizational Psychology
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 9:1
Average Graduate Tuition Rate: $9,000/year
Touro University Worldwide features our top choice for an online PhD in industrial organizational psychology. Touro’s top online human and organizational psychology program has no residency requirements, making this a great choice for working students. The accelerated admissions policy requires no GRE. Students will apply the Scholar-Practitioner Model to answer real-world research questions. Program components cover theory, applied PsyD research, and the application of theory and research.
- 30 Great Scholarships, Grants & Awards for Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- What are the Prerequisites for Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Is an Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Respected in the Field?
- How Long Does it Take to Become an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist?
- What is the Difference Between Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Human Resources?
- What are the Most Important Elements of an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist’s Job?
- Why is Industrial-Organizational Psychology Important?
- What Can I Expect From an Industrial-Organizational Psychology Ph.D. Program?
- Top 10 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 10 Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology Online
- Top 10 Ph.D. Programs in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- 10 Most Affordable Top-Ranked Master’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 10 Bachelor’s in Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Top 25 Campus Based Industrial-Organizational Psychology Master’s Degree Programs
- Top 15 Industrial/Organizational Certificate Programs